As an author, having a website is a must. When readers are looking into your books, you want them to find a polished, up-to-date website that features your books, where to buy them, and of course, you!
Choosing a Domain Name
Buy yourself an easy-to-remember domain name that will stand the test of time. Rather than buying a new domain name for each title or series you release, we recommend using your pen name as your domain name. Domain names can be purchased through sites like GoDaddy, Bluehost, or MailChimp.
Building a Website
When it comes to building your website, there are tons of options to choose from. You may have heard mention of Squarespace, WordPress, and Wix.
A great option for authors is BookLaunch.io. Book Launch makes marketing and selling your book effortless by helping you create a beautiful launch page in minutes.
Author Website Content
At the absolute minimum, your website should include a contact page, a simple author bio, and links to let your visitors know where they can purchase your books in all formats. As always, check out the websites of some of your favourite authors to get ideas for content and design elements to include.
- Include a featured banner to show what you’re currently promoting. You may want to include the release date (or NOW AVAILABLE) along with links to purchase all formats of your book.
- Write a simple biography to help readers connect with you.
- Include a contact page so readers can get in touch with you. Create a dedicated author email rather than using a personal email address.
- Write and maintain a blog to show readers you’re actively writing. It's also great for SEO. Yoast has some tips for creating SEO-friendly blog posts.
- Add links to let your visitors know where to follow you on social media.
- Create a sign-up form to collect email addresses for your email marketing efforts.
- Embed SoundCloud clips of your audiobook.
- Embed YouTube videos of book trailers, cover reveals, or clips of interviews you've done.
- Let readers leave reviews and testimonials on your website, or ask if they could leave a review on Amazon or Goodreads!
- Always include a Call To Action. What do you want your readers to do? Ask them to buy your book, sign-up for your newsletter, or leave a review on Amazon.
- Google Analytics can provide insight into the demographics and number of people visiting your website.
- If you're hoping to increase your email marketing and drive new traffic to your website consider advertising with Google AdWords or Facebook Ads. Utilize the analytics provided by your hosting service or Google Analytics. They can provide insight into the demographics and number of people visiting your website.
Before you even finish writing your book, we recommend building your website, social media presence, and email list for marketing purposes.
It's never too early to start planning for a successful book launch!